60 days pregnant with high TSH. Doctor advised DNC. Advice ?

Hi Doctor,
My wife is pregnent & on 1st scan (23.01.2012) she was 60 days pregnent.On blood result she was having a high TSH of 98.98 and 02.02.2012(second) blood result of TSH 142---FREET3 1.45, FREE T4-0.58
she was a thyroid patient and taking 100mcg of thyrox every day.
she is 42kg and now doctors adviced for DNC. please advice. she is 27 years of age and now for last 2 weeks taking thyronorm 100*2mcg.
this is our first pregnancy & it without any treatments.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

The thyroxine requirements of a woman increase during pregnancy. It is extremely important to check Serum TSH (Thyroid stimulating hormone) levels, Serum Free T3 and Serum Free T4 throughout the pregnancy at least once in a trimester.

This makes the treating doctor understand the actual body requirements and thus change the dosage accordingly.

Having all said, with the information given 100 mcg thyroxine is not the right dose for your wife. It should be revised and properly checked again with serial Serum TSH levels. 100mcg twice a day may suit; it is ideally taken with empty stomach. I prefer you consult a trained doctor for treating thyroid disorder like an Endocrinologist / XXXXXXX Medicine physician.

I feel that the reason for Dilatation & Curettage (DNC) at this stage should be addressed by your treating doctor alone.

Let me know if I can address your concerns further.