6 yr old has swollen ankles, bruise, knots on shins, low fever, weakness. Any idea and suggestions?

HI, my 6 year old daughter has swollen ankles, bruise and scratch-like spots on both legs, swollen, knot-like areas on both shins, a low fever (100.4). She has been tired, achey, and "spaced-out" for a few days. She complained about a headache and dizziness. The swollen ankles/bruise type areas began yesterday on her left leg and tonight is happening to both legs. It is painful and she does not want to walk or step down at all. She also says her hands feel weak. Any ideas? suggestions?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
The symptoms of your daughter are suggestive of a viral infection or an autoimmune problem which has caused inflammation of joints and fragile skin or reduced platelets.
I cannot address your problem completely since it needs good local examination and investigations to find out the cause.
At this time I do not recommend that you obtain any over-the-counter preparations as these could have negative side effects without any reliable solution to her symptoms.
I really think that you should proceed for an evaluation at her pediatrician's office. This will help rule out any worrisome problem which could cause her a significant degree of detriment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.