Ask a Dentist   »  

6 years old, have a black mark on lower gum. Reason?

My grandson is 6 years old. He has a tiny sliver-like shaped black XXXXXXX on his lower gum. He has recently lost his first baby tooth on upper gum. What could cause this tiny black XXXXXXX on his lower gum?
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that the black XXXXXXX is sometimes present since birth (birth mark) - this may be normal. But a direct examination by a doctor/dentist is necessary to confirm its nature. The doctor may order a biopsy if there is any suspicion.

I assume it is not associated with pain, swelling or bleeding; therefore it is not much of a concern. Sometimes, a bruise from biting on hard object can also leave a black XXXXXXX as kids have a tendency to do so; these marks fade away within 7-10 days on its own.

I would appreciate if you can post a picture here of your grandson's lower gum showing the black XXXXXXX

Hope this helps. I will be able to comment further if you can post a picture here using this website's uploader.