6 year old with breathing difficulty. History of Asthma. Treatment options?

My 6 yr old boy has started saying he is having a hard time breathing like he feels like he is not getting enough air and we see him gasping and faning himself. He has never had any breathing problems and dosnt have any other sighns of Ashma that we can see. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Could you give us some ideas of what it could be? We run a cool mist humid. all night on our children and they sleep soundly. Thanks for your help
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

I can help you better if you get back to me with the following details

1. Is there any family history of asthma
2. Do you live in an area which is dusty or polluted
3. Does it happen during spring? Does he have any allergies?
4. Any new pets, carpets , curtains, couch?
5. How is behaviour generally? Is she stressed at school?
6. Is the breathing difficulty and gasping provoked by anything?
7. What do you do to make him breathe better? Does he turn blue?
8. Any history of heart disease in the family?
9. Has he ever fainted or fallen following the event ?

It is essential that you answer these questions so that I can come to a diagnosis whether it is behavioral, respiratory or cardio vascular problem which is causing this

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: 6 year old with breathing difficulty. History of Asthma. Treatment options? 23 hours later
yes there is other members of our family that do have Asthma(grandmother,uncle,cousins)
We live in the country,clean air
He has no allergies we know of except to certain over the counter meds.(anything that has several meds mixed together give him a reaction)we use all natural things
We have not purchased anything new,we have all hardwood floors not pets in the house.
XXXXXXX is a happy boy the only time I've seem him actually nervouse was when he started kindergarden in Sept. but within a couple days he was fine and likes school alot. the only thing we have noticed is for the first time he is starting to through temper tantrums and he is really bullying his younger sister, he is getting bossy and demanding with us. Thease bad behaveurs have started coming since he started school.
In the last few weeks that we have noticed him taking these XXXXXXX breaths and fanning himself a little there has been no rime or reason for it, it could be first thing when he wakes up or any time of the day, he tells us he can breath better outside, which is cold here in the teens and snow. We mainly use a woodstove for heat so we run a large humidifer all the time and a cool mist one all night on the kids, he seems to sleep well. He dose not snore but once in a while you can barely here that his nose may ne slightly conjested.
No he has never turned blue and he may take a XXXXXXX breath and thats it, its just a noticiable XXXXXXX breath he takes, I do notice when he is drinking a drink he sounds a little out of breath after wards and he takes a XXXXXXX breath, kinda like catch his breath
my father and I have controlled high blood pressure and my grandparents have heart problems, my husbands family has heart problems
He has never fainted or acted winded after playing hard or running around it dosent seem to be affecting him that we see. Some days we might only see him take that XXXXXXX breath once some days we notice it several times a day.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 53 minutes later
Thank you so much for a detailed reply.

From the description you have given it looks like your child might be suffering mild attacks of asthma.

Behavioral and cardiac problems are ruled out because there are no triggers and also he has no problems while playing.

Kindly follow these advises

1. Avoid exposure to cold. I know you have given your description that he feels better outside but extreme cold weather can make it worse

2. Avoid cold food, beverages

3. Do not leave him unsupervised and unattended. Inform teachers about these episodes

4. Please see a Pediatrician soon for pulmonary function tests and blood tests which include complete blood count and absolute eosinophil count.

I hope I have answered to your query, please accept my answer if there are no follow up queries.

I wish you and your child good health.