6 year old having protrusion that comes up back centre of throat. Should I be alarmed?

Good

Pediatrician
Question
my daughter (6 yrs) has a protrusion that comes up like a fleshy tube in the back center of her throat. I am concerned; my question is should I be alarmed? Is this normal?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX

You mentioned that you notice a fleshy tube in the centre of your daughter's throat in the back and she has a little complained about swelling. I would like to know if the complain of swelling is recent and is there a difficulty while swallowing?

The epiglotic fold can be usually visualised in children and may be this structure is what you may be seeing. However with the complain of swelling, it will be better to get the throat examined to rule out any pathological condition.

I hope that I have answered your concerns to your satisfaction. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Wishing your daughter all the best...

Follow-up: 6 year old having protrusion that comes up back centre of throat. Should I be alarmed? 9 hours later
She has complained about swallowing for about 2 weeks. I am going to make an appointment with her pediatrician. It could be a month away. Should I press it as asap?

Thanks for the inputs. If there is difficulty in swallowing then you need to consult pediatrician or an ENT specialist at the earliest who shall examine the throat and order investigations, if required, to rule out any pathological condition.

I hope that I have addressed your concerns.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

RKK