6 year old having nausea, itchy anus and is gassy. Any cure and suggestion?

My six year old son complains of nausea, itchy anus and is very gassy.
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
Given your description, it seems like your child has helminthiasis or worm infestation and possibly a parasitic infection as well. The ideal way would be to get a stool microscopy done and start treatment. But since the treatment remains the same no matter what the cause, we usually don’t do it in the initial staged.
Pinworms are common cause in small kids. The treatment involves giving drugs like albendazole/mebendazole syrup prescribed. Get the whole family treated as pinworms spread easily. I would suggest you to consult your pediatrician for this.
In addition, the following precautions need to be followed since re-infection is common with pinworm:
a. Washing your hands is the single most important step you can take.
b. Clean the anal opening after each bowel movement with soap and water. Make sure you use clean washcloths or paper towels each time.
c. Your toilet seat needs to scrubbed with disinfectant daily
d. Your bed linen, towels and clothes need to be washed in hot boiling water with detergent.
e. Vacuum carpets and floors well.
f. Scrub washable areas. Vacuum or brush upholstered furniture. Change the vacuum cleaner bag daily and seal it before throwing it away.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.