6 year old have asthma problem and breath rate of 40. Is this normal?

My six year-old isn't feeling well today. He tends to get asthma when he's sick. He had his inhaler about an 1 1/2 hours ago and is sleeping now. I just checked him and he's doing about 40 respirations per minute and HR is 132. Should I wake him and take him to a doctor or is this normal for asthma?
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

Asthmatics often have laboured breathing due to airway narrowing during breathing out.
Though breath rate of 40 may be technically normal for age. I will request a visit to emergency department as rapid breathing does not always suggest asthma but can be developing pneumonia.
Heart rate may be 130 plus following inhaler use. I would suggest use of peak flow meter to monitor asthma at home.

Asthma at home can best be monitored by charting symptoms daily on a recall diary. You may read about such symptom diary at WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope this information will be useful to you making a decision. Do write back if any further issues. Visit your child asthma specialist and understand the concept of rescue medicine too.