6 year old complaining of pain in different parts of body. Had headache and vomiting. Given motrin. Attention seeking problem?

My six year old boy chronically complains of some kind of ache or pain nearly everyday. Today it is a headache and neck pain. He also complains of stomach pain, leg pain, hip pain and arms too. I am starting to worry that is more than just him wanting attention. He has had at least 2 severe headaches that caused him to lay down and then vomit. Motrin seems to help the pains..... But not always. I don't always give Motrin....... Just when he doesn't stop and it seems worse. Could there be something to this?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 1 hour later

The symptoms you are describing are not specific to any one condition. The possibilities range from nothing at all to any number of medical conditions. There is just no way to put these symptoms together to home in on just a few possibilities, especially via email. That is why I suggest you start with your pediatrician for a complete check up. He or she will order appropriate lab tests, if indicated. Perhaps you have already accomplished this, which is why you are asking on this forum. If your son has already had a medical evaluation for this, including any indicated blood tests (including lead test) then in all likelihood he is indeed well. Often children mimic what they see in their surroundings. Are there any adults in the household who have a lot or frequent physical symptoms? Please let me know.

Dr. J. Schwartz