6 year old accidentally took Lisciprol-hctz pill. What are the side effects?

My 6 yr old grandson accidentally took a pill. It was my Lisciprol-hctz tablet.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
You have omitted the dose of salts in the drug. None the less, there is cause for concern. But no need to panic.

The salt it contains Lisinopril is in the category of one of our body's enzyme inhibitor (Ace inhibitors) and HCTZ salt is Hydrochlorthiazide which is a "water-pill" which help reduce blood pressure by increasing sodium excretion in urine. The purpose of these medications is to control blood pressure. The effects of these medications may take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks for optimal levels to be achieved. Therefore, taking one dose accidentally will usually not cause any harm. However, in a six year old child, other medical conditions, current medications, any known allergies and lastly the amount of medication ingested may change the response. I suggest in the event of following you take your child to ER
1. If you find that your son was lightheaded or complains of giddiness.
2. He has an increased heartrate (above 90)
You should take him to his family doctor if it is still time left in the evening where you live. I hope this helps you. If you have any additional question I will be most happy to answer at the earliest you can mail to YYYY@YYYY for immediate response.
I assure you that your child will remain OK.
Undoubtedly, that this would cause stress to a parent like yourself. Firstly, it is very important to keep all medicines with a safety cap and in a clearly labelled prescription bottles. Its not a bad idea to highlight the patients name and the drug name. I also recommend that everyone should keep their own medications in a separate place not intermixed with other family members medications. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW