6 year child having red dots in mouth. What cure should be done? Is it contagious?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 6 year old son has 4 small red dots in the back of his mouth. He isn't swollen in his neck and nothing else in his mouth is red. He seems fine but said it's annoying to eat. Also, yesterday he ate quite a bit of strawberries. Could this be the cause? Should I have him gargle? If so what?
Is it contagious?
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 54 minutes later
Symptoms of a strawberry allergy will typically develop within an hour or two of eating them. Usually in mild reactions, symptoms of a strawberry allergy will be limited to various irritations. Skin rashes may develop in the form of hives, redness, swelling, and itchiness. Nasal congestion and throat irritation can also develop, making breathing uncomfortable or difficult. Other symptoms of a strawberry allergy include irritated or swollen mouth, lips, and tongue.
So as of now it might be possible that your child has a very mild form of allergic reaction to the strawberries but one cannot rule out the beginning of a viral respiratory infection which usually starts as a throat irritation or nasal congestion and later within a couple if days , full blown symptoms of rhinitis , throat redness or cough appear.
In both cases warm saline throat gargles thrice daily might promote faster relief by improving the local blood circulation.
The chances of it being contagious cannot be commented without confirmation of the diagnosis as allergies are non contagious whereas viral infections are QuickTime spread.Its best to keep a close watch on the progression of his symptoms as an allergy will most likely subside in the next 24-48 hours whereas viral sore throat may worsen and present new symptoms .
So as of now the child neednot take any specific treatment but if he develops any rhinitis , throat pain, fever then the treatment for a upper respiratory infection needs to be started.
Antihistamine like chlorpheniramine might help in both cases to relieve congestion .
So kindly observe and get him evaluated by his doctor if symptoms persist.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.