6 year child having ear issues. Getting nose bleeding and yellowish ear drainage. Worrisome

My 6 year old son has ear issues since he was young and still currently has the tubes in although they are no longer functioning. For the past week he has had ear drainage just yellow liquid. Now he is getting nosebleeds. I don't know why
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I think these are two different entities.

Nose bleeding may be due to nasal irritation, nasal dryness or due to some indoor allergens like dust, dust mites, mold, pet hair and more, blowing the nose too hard, picking the nose and even severe sneezing can be responsible.

Pinch the nostrils together for five to 10 minutes without checking to see if bleeding has stopped. Have your child sit up and lean forward to avoid swallowing blood. Apply ice or a cold water compress to the bridge of the nose.

To prevent use a cool mist humidifier in your child's room at night if the air in your home is dry. Teach your child not to pick his nose or blow it too forcefully. Apply petroleum jelly inside the nostrils several times a day.

Most of the time, any fluid leaking out of an ear is ear wax. However, discharge may also be caused by a minor irritation or infection. A ruptured eardrum can cause a white, slightly bloody, or yellow discharge from the ear.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations, as you have mentioned that he has yellowish discharge i advice you to see ENT specialist for thorough examination and exact diagnosis. The infection needs to be controlled for which he needs prescription antibiotic. I sincerely hope that helps.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: 6 year child having ear issues. Getting nose bleeding and yellowish ear drainage. Worrisome 12 hours later
Thank you for your answers. I called his ENT and they gave antibiotics from my description over the phone. He has currently taken two doses and so far so good. Thanks again for all of your help.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 16 hours later
Good to hear from you.
I advice you to take the antibiotic and complete the course and not to leave it in the middle.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.