6 year child experiencing excessive salivation with gag reflex. What treatment should be done?

My six year old healthy child is experiencing excessive salivation for two days with a gag reflex when he attempts to speak or sing.He isn't in any pain but is constantly in the bathroom clearing his mouth.He doesn't have a fever.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 49 minutes later

It is highly likely that the child has low-grade viral infection of the upper airways and is having sinusitis with post-nasal drip.

He may not clear well the oro-nasal secretions and is at risk of developing pneumonia and other complications.

I would like the child's upper airways to be examined by ENT doctor. His swallowing and coughing abilities to be assessed.

Viral sinusitis and laryngopharyngitis should be treated with six hourly saline gargles, decongestant medicines and antibiotics cover.

A good hydration is important, take liberal fluid intake like juices, soups etc.

If there is pain, paracetamol should be used.

I hope that answered your query. Please write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Follow-up: 6 year child experiencing excessive salivation with gag reflex. What treatment should be done? 35 minutes later
How soon should I take him in? He has an appointment with a pediatrician tommorow at 9am.Is this sufficient?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 12 minutes later

Yes, that is still fine.

Meanwhile encourage him to cough and clear his throat frequently particularly in leaning forward position to ensure a good drainage of secretions and reduce micro-aspirations.

In addition, avoid NSAIDS I would remind you, you could safely use Ultracet in case pain/fever becomes an issue.

I wish your son a pink of health.