6 weeks pregnant, taken Percocet. Harmful for baby?

Oncologist
Question
Help...I had been taken percocet for pain and am 6 weeks pregnant. Will this harm my baby? I heard that the baby can have withdrawals if I quit. What do I do? Will my baby have a birth defect?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query,

Your question is a good one and I can certainly understand why you are concerned and anxious. Regarding your pain and taking the percocet I assume at this point that you are taking very little or none of the pain medication. If this is the case my level of concern is quite minimal. If you are still taking the percocet then I will have some suggestions for you.

If you have finished the percocet there is really no cause for concern at this point. A small degree of exposure to the developing baby is not a big risk and the baby will develop normally. If you are still taking the percocet I suggest you plan on slowly weaning yourself off of it by reducing the dose and frequency over a number of days or weeks, For example if you are taking 4 tabs a day I suggest cutting it to 3 tabs per day for 3 days and then 2 tabs a day for 3 days and then 1/2 tab twice a day for 3 days and then try and completely be off of the medication. This will be less of a shock to both your system and the baby.

If you are able to perform a successful wean then I see no reason why the baby would not continue to develop normally and will also be free of any addictive or dependent tendency on the narcotic. I would discuss also with your doctor - other options to manage your pain such as anti-inflammatory medications, tylenol and physical therapy.

Thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you have found my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga