6 weeks pregnant, found dead lizard in food at hotel. Will it have impact on pregnancy ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
My wife is 6 weeks pregnant, yesterday morning we did a ultra sound and doctor said everything is ok.

In evening we had food (pulses) in a hotel and found a dead and fried lizard in food, by that we had around 6 spoons of that.

We met doctor immediately and she said no problem unless u had lizard itself but incase you face any issue in night, show it to me, yesterday night nothing happened and all seems normal,

but still I am scared that inside her stomach, there is anything which is going wrong and may impact on pregnancy.

Please advise.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX,

-usually only few types of lizards will be poisonous,

-the effects of eating general household lizard fallen food normally occurs because of the bacteria the lizard contains,

-which will generally manifest as gastrointestinal problems like gastroenteritis,

-if occurs gastroenteritis usually manifest within 24 to 48 hours,

-as she already crossed most of the period without any symptoms, no need to worry.

-as your doctor told if at all you notice any problem like pain abdomen,vomitings, motions etc you consult her immediately.

-the effect on pregnant women is as on others only,

-but by affecting general health that can lead to problem to mother and baby.

-as she is almost out of danger now, you just carry on with regular check ups.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 6 weeks pregnant, found dead lizard in food at hotel. Will it have impact on pregnancy ? 16 hours later
Thanks you doctor.

you said symptoms like pain abdomen,vomitings, motions etc, out of these symptoms

1. She is getting lot of vomiting (around 8 times a day), is this due to pregnancy.
2. She is not gone motion in last two days (is it due because she vomits everything she eats?)

But there is no stomach pain, even i had the same food and I am also normal, it is close to 48 hours now since we had that food.

hi XXXXXXX,

1.vomitings are common during early pregnancy, but 8 times a day is something more and that can affect her health, which may be considered as hyperemesis gravidarum,
these vomitings may not be because of the food eaten as,
- she might have had this complaint before that also,
-you are not having any problem.

2.in pregnancy constipation is usual finding due to the effect of progesterone,
her vomitings may also be contributed to that.

anyhow let her visit gynecologist and take tablets for vomitings as excess vomitings can affect the health of mother and baby.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.