6 weeks pregnant after an IVF. No heartbeat seen in ultrasound. What are the risks?

May 2013
My wife is 6 weeks pregnant after an IVF. At 6 weeks we see a gestational sac from the transvaginal ultrasound, but no heartbeat yet so the dr. is prescribing hcG injections during the 1st trimester. Are these additional hormones going to be harmful for my wife of the baby? Her current hcG level is 1700 and progesterone is above 40. We are not sure if the supposed risks outweigh the benefits. Please advise.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 47 minutes later

Usually by 6 completed weeks of pregnancy gestational sac along with heart beat can be visible in trans vaginal ultrasound.
Sometimes it may get delay for few days.
Deficient hcg levels are one of the causes of retorted growth of the baby in early pregnancy.
According to reference values the beta HCG levels in 6 weeks of pregnancy are 1,080 to 56,500 mIU/ml.
According to this though your wife's HCG levels are within normal limits, but they are at the lower end of normal values.
So may be because of this your doctor recommended HCG injections to her.
Here what we have to take into consideration are:
HCG injections comes into category X drugs in pregnancy according to FDA.
Means possibility of fetal risks are there.
And her progesterone levels are within normal limits.

So one option is:
Taking one injection of HCG then after attaining fetal heart beat continuing the pregnancy under cover of progesterone.
So you once discuss these things with your doctor and follow her advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: 6 weeks pregnant after an IVF. No heartbeat seen in ultrasound. What are the risks? 23 minutes later
Is it safe to say that if we don't see a heartbeat by 7 weeks that it is likely that there will be a miscarriage/blighted ovum? Considering that the hcG levels are so low, my guess is that this would be the prognosis.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Yes, if the heart beat is not visible by 7 completed weeks in trans vaginal ultrasound there is possibility for miscarriage or blighted ovum.
Though the HCG levels are low now, sometimes the levels can improve with progression of pregnancy and with treatment and the pregnancy can continue.
So you can wait for 2 more weeks before coming to one conclusion.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.