6 weeks pregnant, TSH 13.24 mU/L, treatment affects baby?

Dear Doctor, I'm 25 years old. I'm almost 6 weeks pregnant and my TSH level on May 11 was 9.47. The OB requested I make another test on May 19. The results came out even worse: TSH soared to 13.24 mU/L with my T4 free 0.921 mU/L.
I'm not sure either it's iodine deficiency (which is unlikely, because my prenatal vitamins contain 290 mcg of it) or it's Hashimoto disease.
They made an appointment with the endocrinologist for me only for may 26- a whole week. I am very nervous right now, knowing that my thyroid function is so rapidly decreasing. I'm aware how XXXXXXX the influences of this condition might be for the developing embryo. I tried to go to the ER to get a prescription for Synthroid, but the physician wouldn't do it without the endocrinologist. I just need the treatment as soon as possible, because it's getting worse, and knowing I have to live another week like this gives me insomnia. The question is: since I'll be already on 7th week when they will prescribe me the hormone is my baby doomed for low IQ??!!! Will he ever be able to reach his full mental capacity? BE HONEST. If so, should I choose to terminate the pregnancy?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

I can totally understand your situation and worry about the growing foetus.

It is really sad that both your OBGYN and ER physician were not able to prescribe you a dose of Synthroid when they are eligible to prescribe.

I think you should see a physician with MD in XXXXXXX Medicine if the appointment can be procured earlier to meeting a Endocrinologist. You do not need to pin point the cause before the empirical treatment is started with minimal amount of thyroxine.

Hypothyroidism of the mother can lead to cretin babies, but not 100%. But you should see your OBGYN for serial anamoly scans of the foetus to check how is the physical growth and the headcircumference of the baby. This anamoly scan can be done at 12 weeks of pregnancy. If the baby is not growing well you can decide about termination. You still will have time for termination.

All the best and happy pregnancy.