6 weeks pregnant, HCG levels show 4 weeks. Prescribed Duphaston. Reason? Is it safe?

Hi Doc, Yesterday I went ot Gynaec. According to my LMP i should be sixth week pregnant but my HCG levels show I am fourth week pregnant. So the doc prescribed me Duphaston for 10 days twice daily. I am just concerned about this. Is it normally prescribed? I had little pain in my tummy the other night but no spotting. So is it ok for me to take duphaston? It wont affect my baby in any way?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 33 minutes later

Your HCG level is low (not according to fetal gestational age) and you are having pain in stomach. So your doctor prescribed duphaston (progesteron) to support your pregnancy and preventing you from miscarriage.

You should go for repeat HCG level, progesterone level and ultrasonography for fetal well being.
You don't worry duphaston is very safe medicine used during pregnancy and it will not affect your baby.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further questions I will be happy to help you.

Dr. Richa
Follow-up: 6 weeks pregnant, HCG levels show 4 weeks. Prescribed Duphaston. Reason? Is it safe? 48 minutes later
thanks dr XXXXXXX
so when do i get another hcg level test done? Because last test i did was 12 of this month. my expected menstrual date was 28th march. and it is fine but that i am in my 4th week and not sixth week. the gynaec could see a gestational sac in the screening. she just told me to get my hcg levels checked. should i wait n get the hcg level checked ?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Your ultrasonography shows a gestational sac so in my opinion you should go for beta HCG levels at weekly interval up to 11 weeks with ultrasonography (for fetal well being).
The beta HCG levels usually get double in 48-72hrs. (may vary from person to person). And then getting down after 11weeks.
If you do not have any clarification you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wishing you a very good health.
Dr. Richa