Ask a Urologist   »  

6 months child frequently passing urine. Urine test done. Should I be worried? Is it curable?

Hi I have a 6 months old female baby,she is frequently passing urine and we have tsted her urine and resluts are below

pus cells 10-12
e-coli infection 0000 colonies /ml

she do not have any fever like symptoms but she is not taking much of water,Please advise regarding this is this some thing very serious and does it needs any tests to be taken and it is curable completely .
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 3 hours later

If I may, I would like to take your question for consideration. Infants, especially girls, are more prone to infections of the urinary tract than older children. In girls, the tendency is even greater because they have short urethra (the tube that goes from the bladder sac to the outside) and the rectal opening is just behind the front opening for the urine and the uterus.

The tests results are indicative of urinary infection, but the colony count of e coli is not within the diagnostic range suggested by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Center for Disease Control, both from the US. I would request you to repeat her urine test, but this time, please clean her private parts with soap and water and then, when she is ready to pass urine, ask her to sit on a small stool, and after she has passed a little urine, start collecting the urine and withdraw the bottle before the urine stream has reduced down to stop. Thus, you will be collecting middle part of the urine (this is known in the medical world as "mid-stream" urine. Such urine has less chances of being contaminated with bacteria or white cells and is more likely to give the right results.

Once you have the proper result, please get back to me with it and we will take the story further. In any case, I can tell you confidently that there is no risk of her dying or getting afflicted with any serious problem. Get a repeat urine test done, that's all for now.

Revert to me by tomorrow evening and we will try and resolve the problem.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher