6 month old having frequent urine and bowel movement. Suggest diet plan

This is regarding my 6-month old daughter. On doctor's recommendation we started with giving solids to her one time a day and she is taking it well. Rest of her food needs are being done through mother's feed. We are not giving her any formula milk or baby food. It has been around 20 days or so since we started with solids.Now the question or concern is the bowel movement frequency? Until few days back she was passing motions normally at least once in every three days. For the past five days she hasn't passed motion. She did a bit yesterday but not sure whether its OK or not. She is doing absolutely fine by the looks and no visible complaints can be seen like bloating abdomen, crying, drowsiness etc. Her activities are normal, she is feeding properly and sleeping properly. We did noticed her passing urine more frequently. This could be probably that now we are trying to give more liquids to her in the diet i.e. solids. Please advise if its OK for the little one to go without passing motions for days.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 31 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I appreciate your concern regarding the frequency of motion. It is very normal for an individual not to pass a motion for a few days. We need to worry only if the abdomen gets bloated or she has vomiting. As per your observation the activities, feeding and sleeping are normal and hence you need not worry about the motion.

Since you are giving more liquids then solids to your daughter she is passing more urine which is understandable. Once you increase the solid food, the frequency of urine will reduce and her bowel habits will become more regular. You can start giving her mashed food and gradually change over to solid food.

I hope I have addressed your concerns to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you have any clarifications.

Wishing your daughter all the best....

Follow-up: 6 month old having frequent urine and bowel movement. Suggest diet plan 9 minutes later
Thanks doctor. Actually when I said solids I meant the meshed stuff it's basically boiled rice and pulses in a thin paste form around 150 ml. Actually I am traveling tomorrow with my daughter to my home town which is around 18 hours rail journey,so just to avoid any trouble during the journey want to be sure. By the way how long should we wait before she passes the motion and actually call it an emergency. I read somewhere on the internet that giving her XXXXXXX juice or sugary water helps in passing motion. I am trying to avoid any medications or something else. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 14 minutes later

You need not worry about the motion as long as the abdomen is not bloating or the child is vomiting. Be rest assured that the child will pass a motion. You mentioned that the child had passed a little motion yesterday. You can give her fruit juice without straining which will help in passing motion.

I am glad that you are giving mashed food. You can introduce XXXXXX leafy vegetables which shall help the child further in bowel movements.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Feel free to revert back with any clarification or information that you may require.

Wishing you a safe travel to your home town with your daughter.