6 days old have low blood sugar and low calcium. What are the complications? Will it be cured?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My new born 6 days old. Reported low blood sugar and low calcium. Kept in NNICU for three days with glucose saline and intravenous calcium. Released from hospital with steady blood sugar level fluctuating from 46-69, but with low calcium. Given oral calcium suspension about 2ml 6 hourly.Asked to feed top-up milk and breast milk at regular intervals of 2 hours and report back to hospital after 2 days for fresh calcium and sugar tests . Is the baby safe .Will this be cured?I dont want to put him back in NNICU.
The EDD was 2nd DEC born premature by 20 days.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 52 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I have a few questions.
1-You have not given the weight of the baby. What was the birth weight?
2- were there any convulsions or fits?
3- when and how this was noted?
4- Are there any other problems at birth?
If the mother had diabetes or prediabetes during pregnancy ,the baby may have these two problems at birth.
These are treatable with supplements and the baby will be alright after that.Do not worry!
If there are no associated problems the baby will recover 100%!
The baby will be safe!
But please follow the doctor's advice closely and recheck sugar
and calium and magnesium also.
GOD Bless
All the best
Dr Uma