5Th week of pregnancy, cramps, sharp abdominal pains, sqeezing.Is it normal?

Hi i am in my 5th week of pregnancy. In my fourth week of pregnancy (last week) i started to have period like cramps and i understand they are normal. But now i have sharp abdominal pains, starting from 2 days ago. They are continous and it feels like something is squeezing.They are mainly in the top abdominal area and sometimes also in the lower abdominal area. Is it normal or i should require a further check? at the moment i am travelling in some islands so i do not have easy access to a doctor
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Pain in abdomen during early pregnancy is most likely due to intestinal colic or muscular in origin. You can do a hot fomentation in the area for symptomatic relief. If there are no other associated symptoms like persistent abdominal cramps and acute severe lower abdomen pain then there is nothing worrisome. This will gradually subside in 5-7 days. Taking an antacid like tums might be helpful.
In case there is persistent sharp pain in lower abdomen then an ultrasound scan is recommended to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: 5Th week of pregnancy, cramps, sharp abdominal pains, sqeezing.Is it normal? 10 hours later
Thanks for your prompt answer Dr. Rahki
I noticed also other symptoms and was wondering if they were normal:

- Diziness and confusion while walking right after eating. I can still walk straight but feel a bit of vertigo
- i am drinking a lot of water and i am feeling thirsty a lot more than usual
- sometimes i feel shallow breathing, i have difficulties in breathing normally. These episodes just last for a few minutes while walking, when i sti down or rest they get better
- is there any drink or food i should be avoiding?
thanks for your attention
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Mild dizziness, increased thirst, etc are common findings during pregnancy. Just concentrate on having a healthy diet and do not worry.
You can avoid fat containing spicy foods, tea, black coffee, alcohol and smoking.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.