59 years old had vestibular balance disorder. Feels shaky while walking. How long will it take to get cured?

Question
My mother is around 59 years old. few months back she had a stroke. one month back she had some vestibular balance disorder problem also. still now she is little bit shaky while walking. current bloor pressure stays around 90 - 155. recently MRI brain done which shows mild defuse brain shrinkage, chronic ischaemic change in left paraventriular region, 3rd and both lateral ventricles are mildly dilated.
she is currently tahe following medicine -
1.metstamlo 25/5 [one]
2. betavert 24 [one]
3. TVS 20 [one]
4. Recovit NP [one]
5. ASPRSOL(75) [one] + fm 40

Physiotherapy is also going on.
please suggest whether his medication is right and how long it would take for her to regain full balance for walking freely.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The problem of imbalance can be due to two reasons-
It can be related to a minor cerebrovascular accident affecting the XXXXXXX ear and it's neural pathway.
Another possibility is a BPPV-that is Benign Paroxysmal positional Vertigo, an episodic vertigo syndrome due to displaced otoconia in the semicircular canal of XXXXXXX ear.
She is highly susceptible for fall and fractures which can lead to further complications so keep a watch, if problem is too much then train her to use a walker for safety till she gets better.
If the vertigo is related to CVA then the recovery is unpredictable and variable in both the duration and the extent.
In case of BPPV the restoring of the otoconia is helpful but first the diagnosis must be ascertained by physical examination by a neurologist.
The drugs she is taking are fine, just keep a watch on heart rate because in some patients metstamlo can cause a drop in heart rate. Stop this drug if heart rate decreases below 60/minute.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: 59 years old had vestibular balance disorder. Feels shaky while walking. How long will it take to get cured? 9 hours later
she has regained balance and walk on her own, although still some disbalance prevailing. She also had some facial paralysis which is being treated through physiotherapy. This is also recovering.

Please let me know if any dietery suggesion or lifestyle change for her to recover faster.

Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
There is no such diet mentioned that can bring improvement in CVA but she should receive a balanced diet with about 100grams of protein and avoid added salt in the diet in view of persistent high BP. She should avoid fried foods, sweets, saturated fats like ghee etc. And should get regular visits to physician every 3months initially and 6monthly later on.
Fall is persistent threat and it is a risk even when she is having vertigo of some amounts.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: 59 years old had vestibular balance disorder. Feels shaky while walking. How long will it take to get cured? 2 hours later
As the MRI has shown little brain shrinkage, is there any future threat of Alzheimer problem. If so is there any medicine she should take as any precautionery measure in this regard.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi Mr. XXXXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The slight shrinkage of the brain is called age related atrophy and is the rule rather than exception.
Alzheimer is a separate disease where fibrillary plaques form and affect the brain function, the age group affected is elderly, there is familial preponderance.
Really can not be predicted which patient would get affected.
There are no preventive medicines available, rather she should take the current medicines regular to prevent complications of recurrent CVA.
Wish you a great health!