57 years old. Have slightly elevated cholesterol and blood pressure level. Should I take statin?

Hi I am a 57 year old man with a cholesterol level of 5.9 and blood pressure of about averaging 139/95 bmi of 24.4 , active, eat quite healthily, non smoker, non drinker do I need to take a statin
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Being a male, a cholesterol level at 5.9 puts you on an average risk for atherosclerosis.
Since you have mildly increased diastolic blood pressure, your risk of having a coronary heart disease is even more.
It is best to start with cholesterol lowering medicines like statins after checking your liver enzymes
Lifestyle modifications have equal importance along with medicines.
1. reduce saturated fat intake
2.     Maintain good body composition
3.     Increase dietary fiber
4.     Increase aerobic exercise
Finally it is best to consult your doctor to help you in choosing the best cholesterol lowering agent.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: 57 years old. Have slightly elevated cholesterol and blood pressure level. Should I take statin? 17 minutes later
Thank you but I here so many bad reports about statins muscular waste pain etc couldnt i just take a bp med to reduce the risk and forget the statin
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Mild side effects are associated with all kinds of medicines. If you want to avoid cholesterol lowering agents then you need to do all the recommended life style modifications and keep on monitoring your cholesterol levels every 8-10 weeks. In case there is an increase then it is best to start with the medications.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: 57 years old. Have slightly elevated cholesterol and blood pressure level. Should I take statin? 9 hours later
thanks again for your reply . At the moment I do exercise 35mins a day. I eat a relatively healthy diet . I also do intermittent fasting 2days , have bmi of 24.4 waist size of uk 32 at 5ft 6in . non smoker also non drinker . You mention lifestyle modifications is there any further modifications I can make that may help. If I take the new bp meds I have been prescribed losartan and my bp lowers won't that be enough to lower the risk so I don't have to take this statin . I am also going to take one of these stenol soya drinks will that help .Is the figure of 5.9 cholestral so high that it can't be reduced without the need of a statin thanks again
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
You need to reduce the oil intake and start with aerobic exercises at least 5 days a week. These modifications can reduce the chances of any further increase in the cholesterol levels.
It is best to lower your risk as much as you can. Taking stenol soya drink will also help you. You can also add garlic to your diet.
The figure of 5.9 is not very high. You can monitor the levels on every 10 weeks basis and in case the level rises then start with a suitable medicine.