57 year old male, lower back pain. diagnosed with DISH by chiropractor. Surgery an option ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 57 year old male.Have had some lower back issues. My chiropractor diagnosed me recently with DISH. What are my options?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Follow-up: 57 year old male, lower back pain. diagnosed with DISH by chiropractor. Surgery an option ? 17 minutes later
Can I play golf with this condition even when there is discomfort ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later

Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) is a form of degenerative arthritis. It is characterized by abnormal calcification along the sides of the vertebrae of the spine with inflammation and calcification of tendons.

Treatment options include pain killers, muscle relaxants, local steroid injections in severe pain and local analgesic gels.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.

Normally with adequate treatment you can lead a normal life without much disability. You can play golf as long as you do not have any pain in the back.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: 57 year old male, lower back pain. diagnosed with DISH by chiropractor. Surgery an option ? 3 hours later
Is surgery an option if it gets worse or doesn't go away? And what does the surgery consist of? Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

In this case surgery is not an emergency. If you can lead a normal life with the help of medicines then the surgery can be avoided for a while. T

he disease process will not be reversed with any medicines but the symptoms can be taken care of.
Usually surgery is considered when the nerve roots get involved.

According to the extent of affection nerve root decompression or laminectomy is done.

Hope my answer is helpful.