56 yr old and due for removal of left ovary and cyst. Dr advises prophylactic removal. Risk of recurrence ?

I am 56 and due to have left ovary and cyst removed. My Consultant wants to do prophylactic removal of both ovaries and tubes. There is no cancer indication. I prefer not to have both removed. What are the risks of reoccurence versus cardiovascular risk of bilateral? Thx
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sairajesh Koonamsetty 52 minutes later
Recurrence of ovarian cyst in the ovary that is left unremoved ( Unilateral oophorectomy or removal of single ovary) is seen in 8-10 percent of cases( based on the data from various follow up clinical trials on unilateral oophorectomy).

As there is no cancer indication, one of the ovaries can be left unremoved.
Coming to the cardiovascular risk associated with bilateral oophorectomy( removal of both the ovaries), the risk would definitely increase by a fair margin when compared to unilateral oophorectomy, particularly if you have not attained menopause. However, if obesity and other risk factors like diabetes, increased cholesterol , this risk can only be partially addressed. If you have attained menopause, the cardiovascular risk still increases. doctor to decide whether to go for unlilateral or bilateral oophorectomy. Please discuss with your doctor about your concerns regarding the surgery of choice.

Hope your doctor respects your choice and may go for unilateral oophorectomy.
Hope you are satisfied with the answer.
I will be available for follow ups.
Wish you a healthy life.
Take Care.
Dr Sairajesh Koonamsetty