56 years old. What is causing the swelling on head?

On top of skull peak is hard, but on both sides of peak bone are crevices that r XXXXXXX n narrow, then XXXXXXX n wide, shallow n narrow, n other times not there at all. I am 56 yrs old. Y is top of my head have these shape chafes? These changes r on top of head center. Shaved head to see. Left side appears to be a bruised. Right side is normal in color. Got a pic if u tell me where to send
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 13 hours later
Our head's basic structural framework and shape is determined by the skull bones. The bones are covered by many layers of soft tissue which includes muscles, fibres, fat, blood vessels etc.
It is not a common observation to have changing furrows, crevices etc over the scalp. However since you have noticed them on your head, the possible explanation that comes to my mind is that the muscles of your scalp may be acting in a little different way. There may be different states of contraction in different parts of the muscles at the different times that you have seen. It really is not a part of any disease and doesn't warrant a concern.
Alternatively there may be fluid collection which may be waxing and waning. Another remote possibility is that of blood vessels felt differently at different times.
It will help to be examined by a doctor to see if any thing really is changing or is abnormal. To me it doesn't appear serious.
Hope that answers your query. if there are more questions, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.