56 years of age and have lost sex drive. Underlying cause?

I have lost my sex drive I'm 56 fe mail what can I do to get it back
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Decreased sex drive is a relatively common problem among women. It can be related to side effects from medication (anti depressants cause decrease libido)
(2) due to psychological issues such as depression or relationship issues
(3) occur during menopause due to hormonal changes such as low estrogen which can cause reduced genital sensation and vaginal dryness
(4)low levels of testosterone can also cause decreased libido in females. The ovaries are normally responsible for 50 % of the circulating testosterone
(5) simply occur due to exhaustion
(6)occur in the context of chronic illness such as diabetes and heart disease

If the decreased desire occurs over a prolonged period of time and is very distressing then it is termed hypoactive sexual desire disorder.

In terms of assessment, normally a doctor may check the pelvis and the genitalia looking at: the pelvic muscles (to see if there is any weakening),
(2)the walls of the vaginal (looking for dryness , prolapse or infection)

Blood tests can be done to check for the level of reproductive hormones, testosterone, thyroid hormone (decrease levels can decrease desire)

In terms of treatment there are different aspects: (1) hormone replacement therapy- this is often combined with testosterone to have a greater effect if the hormone replacement on its own is not effective. This is prescribed by a doctor

(2) psychological aspect if there are any psychological issues affecting desire

(3) if it is related to vaginal dryness and atrophy then the application of local estrogen cream may be helpful

You may want to consider visiting your doctor regarding the assessment and the hormonal replacement therapy

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions