55 years old. Suddenly got pale, weakness, started sweating and shaking. What is the cause?

I had what I think was a hypoglycemic episode today. Came on suddenly, sweating, shakiness, pale, weak,. I am not diabetic. 55 years old. Ate some chocolate, did not help, so had a meal. That finally helped. Had to rest and sleep afterwards. I have never had this before.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
The symptoms that you had can be related to hypoglycaemia or a sudden hypotension. A history of recent infection, fluid and electrolyte imbalances, lack of proper diet, etc can aggravate such symptoms.
Anxiety and an overdose of albuterol can also aggravate this.
Other causes that need to be ruled out are high blood pressure, cervical spondylitis, anemia, use of sedatives, tranquilizers and antidepressants.
Uncommon reasons can be due to brain reasons or arrhythmias and cardiomyopathies.
My purpose of telling you the causes is so that you don't take your symptoms lightly and consult your doctor and get yourself physically examined along with various investigations in case such episodes are recurrent.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: 55 years old. Suddenly got pale, weakness, started sweating and shaking. What is the cause? 14 hours later
I have had a recent viral infection that I just can't seem to shake. It's been 4 weeks. I will see my PCP today. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
You are welcome.
Viral infections sometimes can persist for 4-6 weeks. Taking plenty of fresh fruits and juices will be helpful. A Vitamin C supplement will help in enhancing the immunity.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards