54 years old. Have raised ESR level. Could it be due to menopause?

Neurologist, Surgical
i have a raised esr 46mm per hour and it has been high for the past 3 or four years.i was advised to check for tb of the spine because i had a spinal problem i was under medication for three months but there was no change in the rate. so again when i approached another doctor i was told to stop the medicines and esr could be high during menopause iam 54 yrs old
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later

ESR is a very non specific test. It can be raised in many conditons. One of them is tuberculosis. But, to label it as a cause of raised ESR, and start ATT, may not be correct.

It is important to rule out other chronic conditions for a raised ESR. So please do get yourself investigated for other causes of raised ESR, by your physician. It could be due to chronic infections, immune complex disorders as rheumatoid arthritis etc.

Hope I had been able to guide you. Let me know if I can help you further.