53 years old with itchy vagina. Tested negative for yeast and bacterial infection. What's wrong?

I am 53 year old menopausal women. I have suffered with vaginal itching for 20 years. Over the years I have been tested for yeast, bacteria everything negative. Two years ago the itching stopped and I was thrilled! I attributed it to menopause. 2 months ago it started up again, constant. I went to Gyn and tested negative for yeast, or any other bacteria. I am now using an estrogen cream which has not helped. I am beside was so wonderful to be free of the constant burning and itching. When it first started up again I also had urinary leakage for about two weeks and then that stopped. I have never had that before. What tests do you suggest? Where do I go from here.?
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 18 minutes later
Chronic vaginal itching is a common problem.There may be many causes.Apart from the infections you have mentioned,chronic vulvovaginitis, infection of hair follicles,
Warts, infections like lichen etc can also cause itching.
You should first rule out any skin conditions that may be causing the itching.Also be aware that allergic reactions are also common with sensitive skin.
Thirdly,any imbalance in the vaginal flora esp after meanopause can cause itching.For that you need to take some pro-biotics for symptom relief.Urinary leakage also may cause itching due to chronic irritation but since you were using estrogen cream, that has reduced.
I suggest now,that first make sure you dont have any skin diseases like lichen etc.
Start taking probiotics already.Maintain hygiene and use anti allergen products.
Follow-up: 53 years old with itchy vagina. Tested negative for yeast and bacterial infection. What's wrong? 31 minutes later
I already take pro-bioethics in capsule form, is that what you mean? I do not have sensitive skin in general, I am dark completed, and never get rashes, or bug bites or any other skin conditions. I do have dry skin and a very flaky scalp with sores that started about 3 years ago. Can any of this be related to hormones? I do not think it is a skin condition, I think it is some sort of imbalance, are there any tests for that?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 hours later
Probiotics are available in tablet and capsule form both.This will treat the imbalance of the vaginal flora so that it doesnt get dry and cause itching.
Infections like lichen,HPV etc all cause vulval itching.These are often not seen by the naked eye.Skin scraping is taken biopsy of the itching is severe or eruptions occur. Hormone imbalance will cause vaginal dryness and that can cause itching also.Keep using the estrogen cream also.There are no confirmatory test for the imbalance detection.If the vaginal mucosa has become reddened/inflammed then vaginitis id definitely possible.Avoid shaving in the area and chemical irritants.
Use the probiotics and estrogen cream for few weeks and note the difference.