53 years of age, no menstruation for two years, symptoms of bleeding, cramps. Treatment options ?

I haven't had a period in 2 years, I thought I was done with them. But now I am having bleeding and some cramping. I am 53.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Any postmenopausal bleeding is certainly regarded as abnormal. There are a couple of things which could be contributing to this but certainly you'll need to see your doctor to discuss this new finding. The first possibility would be something like a uterine fibroid. These are benign growths which can sometimes grow to a certain level and cause bleeding. The second thing which needs to be ruled out would be any abnormal cells in your uterus including precancerous or cancerous cells. Your doctor can refer you to a gynecologist to perform assessment for this. Certainly at some point you may also need an ultrasound.

At this point I would recommend that you contact your symptoms you're having. Your physician make see you in the office or possibly refer you to a gynecologist Ford focus consultation and examination. I advise that you do this within the next few days.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert