52 years old suffering from diabetes, cough and cold. Required treatment?

Jan 2013

My Mom is 52 years old. Recently came to know that she is a diabetic and suffering from cough along flum. some times heavy respiration happening and saying her musles getting cold
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know other associated symptoms along with cough and phlegm.
Does she has chest pain/ breathlessness on exertion & lying down position?
Does she has running nose/ headache/ fever?
What is the color of phlegm? whether pink color or yellow color.

As such there is no direct correlation between diabetes and cough & phlegm.
Long lasting diabetes may affect heart function and left ventricular dysfunction may occur.
In such conditions, patient may feel cough with pink color phlegm and breathlessness. Symptoms gets worse after lying down position and on exertion.

There may also be possibility of acute viral upper respiratory tract infection with secondary bacterial condition but such condition is not aggravating with diabetes.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for electrocardiography (ECG) & chest x XXXXXXX on preliminary basis.
If these investigations and her symptoms suggest involvement of heart then you should consult with cardiologist and should go for coronary angiography & 2 D echo.

If these investigations are normal and her symptoms suggests upper respiratory tract infection then she should take complete antibiotic course, decongestants, mucolytics and cough suppressants.
She should also perform gargles with lukewarm water & pinch of salt.
She should also avoid sour, curd, oily food and cold drinks.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava