52 year old, overweight, used a tree limb lopper. Now having pain. Treatment?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I am a 52 year old female who is overweigt, but I still like to do yard work from time to time on weekends. A couple week ago I used a tree limb loper for a few hours to prune bushes and tree limbs.Some limbs were almost too thick for it to handle but I pushed as hard as I could with the loper handle wedged hard against my left palm several times(I am right handed.)
That night I had pain in the palm that really bothered me. For some reason the pain never went away totally and it is really still bothering me. When I make my left pinky push down the whole way against my palm, the pain radiates down my palm on that side.

Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later

You probably may have sustained soft tissue injury while handing the tree limp lopper. However it would be better to get X-ray of your hand done (AP and Oblique view) to rule out minor fractures. An orthopedician can guide you through the test.

If your X-Ray report is normal that is there is no dislocation or fracture of small bones of the hand, then you can be rest assured the symptoms will go away by a week or two.

A few tips to fasten recovery are as follows:
- Rest adequately and avoid any exercise of the affected hand.
- Hot fomentation with warm saline water can be useful.
- Wrap a Crepe bandage on your palm after application of local pain relieving gel.
- Take anti-inflammatory drugs like motrin 400mg twice a day after food for 3-5 days.

In addition you may also consider physiotherapy / Ultrasound therapy on your palm.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any doubts, I will be happy to help.