52 year old heart patient. Which is the safest antidepressant to treat depression and anxiety?

what is the safest antidepresent for a 52 yr old female to take to treat depresion and anxiety that keeps me from sleeping? I have heart disease
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 22 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Depression occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your depression. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety and poor sleep benzodiazepines group of medicines like clonazepam are used and for long term relief of depression most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like escitalopram are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. You have to take prescription from physician for above medicines.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.