51 years of age. Have bleeding after intercourse. Pap smear test normal. What could be the cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hello My age is 51 I have been married for 18 yrs over the past 12 mths after intercourse i bleed, it seems to be happening more regular. my pap smear test 2yrs ago was clear. my mentsrual cycle is regular, about 28 days. The 2nd and 3rd days are the heaviest
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. This doesnt need to indicate any pathology since bleedng after intercourse happens commonly in perimenopausal women. It usually indicates soon menopause and lowering estrogen levels. This low estrogen causes that your vagina wall become thinner and weaker and easily bleeds when irritated and after intercourse. However,you should repeat PAP test and vaginal ultarsound just to rule out something more serious(endometrial pathology). Best treatment is hormonal replacement therapy(HRT) which may improve other bad effects of menopause. Also,use good lubrication during intercourse. Wish you good health. feel free to ask. regards