50 years old on contraceptive pill. Should I stop using contraceptive pill?

I am 50, have been on the pill for probably 12 years (started because of heavy bleeding), and am thinking about stopping using the pill. I will use another birth control method. What else should I be thinking about with this decision?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there,

You should definitely stop using oral contraceptive pills. You are 50 yrs and pills are not advisable after the age of 35years. This is because they increase the chances of high blood pressure and diabetes along with many other side effects. Also many other contraceptives which contain both oestrogen and progesterone should be avoided in your case. For eg. Combined Patches, vaginal rings, intradermal implants.

One good choice in your case would be progesterone containing intrauterine device called MIRENA which would provide contraception besides controlling your heavy periods. It is a device which is placed inside the uterine cavity through the vagina. Once inside, it releases progesterone in a fixed quantity daily which causes endometrial atrophy that in turn makes uterus unfavourable for pregnancy besides mechanically preventing implantation. Also endometrial atrophy causes reduced bleeding during menses.

As you are 50years , I should mention it to you that you should finish your menses in a year or so. Average age of menopause is 51years. Bleeding which occurs after menopause or continues beyond 51 years is considered Abnormal and should be evaluated.

So I suggest you to XXXXXXX a gynaecologist personally, get your XXXXXXX examination and ultrasound done to rule out any disease causing heavy periods. Pap smear and minor procedure called endometrial biopsy would be beneficial to rule out atypical hyperplasia or cancer of endometrium & cervix as these also cause abnormal bleeding.

Mirena IUD can then be inserted if the above things are normal.

I hope I have answered your query.