50 years old have rheumatoid arthritis. Safe to go for stem cell injections?

What is your opinion on stem cell injections for a rheumatoid arthritis victim of 50+ years having been diagnosed at 11yrs. Having had multiple prosthesis ops and in decline with no-one to help figure a plan. The intergrative wholistic Dr has let me down after having spent several thousand dollars.
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

I empathize with your condition.

I was fortunate to be associated with few stem cell trials, so let me take this opportunity to answer your query. The results of stem cell therapy trials are yet to be established scientifically. Currently there have been mixed responses from specialists and their patients on whom the trials were conducted. And for someone of 62 years of age and with chronic condition spanning more than 50 years it might take plenty of time to show any positive results with such trials. As far my knowledge and experience they were not done for 60+ age group.

Therefore my sincere suggestion would be to continue with the regular treatment under the guidance of rheumatologist, physiotherapist and orthopedic. Keep telling your Rheumatologist that you wish to consider stem cell therapy when the results are optimistic.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for further discussion.