50 years old. Having yellowish condensed discharge and dark labia minora. Treatment?

Mar 2016

I just noticed that my labia minora has gotten very dark, dull dark blackish gray. I am woerried why is that. I am 50. I have little yellowish condensed discharge
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX platform.

You are currently in menopausal age group (50 yrs) as you had undergone hysterectomy 5 yrs ago.

Following menopause, blackish/ dark gray colored labia minora or some part of vulva is mostly due to overproduction of melanin pigment and fluctuation or decreased level of other body hormones. It is quite physiological.

Other predisposing factors vaginal infection (related with yellowish discharge), ring worm infestation, diabetes, hypertension, over weight, contact with chemical substance while using condom or detergent/ scented soap/ other bath products etc.

If there is no itching/ bad smelling on discharge or any type lesion/ bump, then you have nothing to worry. Just maintain your genital hygiene properly. In such case, applying aloe vera gel may help to lighten your labial skin color but you do not expect 100% result.

Though, I suggest to contact with your gynecologist for complete health check up including pelvic examination to pin point the diagnosis. Do relevant investigations as per your doctor's recommendation and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Some general measures to be taken like:

1) Avoid unprotected sexual intercourse and may use water based lubricant with condom.
2) Wear loose fitting underwear/ pant to avoid repeated irritation/ friction.
3) Complete avoidance of chemical bath products/ scented soap/ detergent. Just clean genitalia with plain water only.
4) Take balanced nutritious diet and drink plenty of water/ fluids.
5) Control body weight by regular light physical exercise if you are overweight.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen