50 year old. Suffering from calcium deficiency and muscle spam. Need advice on required treatment

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am 50 year old. I am suffering from calcium deficiency. My serum calcium level is 8 mg/dl. 25 - OH Vitamin D Total is 59ng/ml. I am taking calcium supplement (Calcium Carbonate - 1250 mg(equivalent to elemental calcium - 500 mg), Vitamin D3 XXXXXXX - 0000 IU/week . Still my calcium level is low. I am suffering from severe muscle spasm. Whether I need to take magnesium along with calcium supplementation.

Kindly advise me about line of treatment and type of specialist Doctor need to be consulted for above medical condition and for further follow up.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Yes , you are suffering from hypocalcemia ( low serum calcium).
The vit d levels are now in the appropriate ( sufficient ) range and you have been advised appropriate treatment in the form of vitamin D and calcium supplements .
However since your calcium levels are still low you can do the following to ensure optimal levels,
1. Try a Calcium citrate form as supplement or a combination of calcium with magnesium ( usually the daily dose of magnesium is half of that of calcium ).
2. Further get yourself evaluated to rule out any underlying hormonal causes by carrying out tests like thyroid and parathyroid profile , renal profile etc.
You can consult a XXXXXXX medicine specialist ( MD physician ) or an endocrinologist for the same .
3. Have a calcium XXXXXXX diet including dairy products , fish ( if non vegetarian ) or
greens such as leafy vegetables ,mustard,calcium-fortified soy milk, fruit juice and cereals; and broccoli.
4. Maintain a healthy lifestyle by avoiding any addictions and exercising daily for atleast half an hour.

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.