5 years old walks on extended tip toe and has delay in speech. Asked to see neurologists. Suggest?

Feb 2013

My great niece is 5yes old and she walks on her tip toe fully exstended and she has a delay in her speech. She see a speech therapist and she went to shrines hospital in Houston TX were the Dr put casting on both her legs. But the speech therapist said she needs to see a neurologists
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She needs further evaluation by neurologist.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Toe walking is abnormal at the age of 5 years.

She needs evaluation for neurological and muscular abnormalities such as spasticity of lower limbs which is seen in spinal cord abnormalities, cerebral palsy, and some muscle and tendon problems such as short Achilles tendon, tight calf muscles in muscles which occurs in muscle disorders.

I advise you to consult a pediatric neurologist for the general physical and neurological examination followed by appropriate investigations to look for any underlying abnormality.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.