5 years old, suffering from cough and fever from long time. Taken Seroflow 125, Telekast-L. Permanant cure?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My Daughter is 5 year old. She has history of having cough from last 3+ years.
Earlier she used to have cough with and without fever very frequently like once in 2months or 3months.
Sometime alternate months. Our pediatric Dr said, it's allergic cough and they given Seroflow 125, Telekast-L kid/Montec LC KID. We stopped giving or having choc-lets and it gave upto some relief but could not conclude. Then later it started.
Normally many times, she will have Nose Blocks during sleeping and used to give Nasoclear/Otrivin.

Sometime back this early year, we saw cough frequency less and Dr reduced Seroflow to 50mg. But after that also we saw once in 4 months and now this month she has cough from last 4 weeks. It stops for just one or 2 days, it again starts. Following is given to her now,
Ascoril 5ml (1-1-1), Romicast(0-0-1) and Seroflow(1-0-1).
Now since it's not controlling, as per suggestion from Doctor gave her Nebulization last week with Duolin(2.5) and Budecort(0.5mg). It stopped for just 2 days with little and it increased again now.

Not sure how to stop this cough? Is there a way to solve this problem? Whether this kind of problem stopped in kids?

Please suggest something so that I will check with our Pediatric dr or suggest me if I need to go to very special doctor?

Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

Welcome to HCM!

I would like to ask you some questions in the beginning.

Do you have family history of asthma or allergy?
Does the child get fever also every time or it is only cough and wheezing?
Has he undergone any tests like X-ray,mantoux test ,blood counts , tests for allergy etc?

Regarding your child if you do not have family history of allergy or asthma, he may grow out of it as he grows older by 10-12 years!

Now he has asthma - he is on treatment.
His disease is known for repeated attacks .
This is because of something triggering his allergic response.
This may be dust, pollens,pollution,seasonal changes and rarely food items like egg,fish,dhals ,etc.

He can have the following tests done if not done earlier.
Blood counts,mantoux,stool examination,blood tests for allergy.

As a preventive measure you can try the following.

1- look for any particular food item that triggers his cough.
2 keep the house clean from fine dust and also AC to be cleaned frequently.
3 try to avoid citrus fruits like oranges and lemons.

Lastly do not worry!
The incidence of asthma has considerably gone up in children!
This is due to environmental pollution where we are helpless!

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: 5 years old, suffering from cough and fever from long time. Taken Seroflow 125, Telekast-L. Permanant cure? 59 minutes later
>>Do you have family history of asthma or allergy?.
No one except my grand-mother. She has heavy breathing problem and cough.
Apart from that we have not seen. My grandparents has 3-son and one daughter.
All sons and daughter of my grandparents has 3 kids each. Totally whole family tree of ours is not facing the issue.

>>Does the child get fever also every time or it is only cough and wheezing?
No fever. Also she don't have wheezing. But nose gets blocks.

>>Has he undergone any tests like X-ray,mantoux test ,blood counts , tests for allergy etc?
No. We have not made any tests till now.

One thing that, my kid ate lots of Orange fruit before cough starting (Now we remember). But previously we never gave her Orange.

We will do tests as you suggested "Blood counts,mantoux,stool examination,blood tests for allergy." And we will talk to our Dr also.

Shall I please upload the results of tests to this query once tests are completed?

Is there not a medical solution for this kind of problems in kid?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 hours later

Good morning!

Thanks for the details.
Your daughter has wheezing- that is why they are giving duolin,seroflo' budecort nebuliser,etc !!

Montec LC kid is a preventive medicine for asthma and allergies.
Some doctors use different terms like asthma,bronchitis,allergy etc (which all mean the same) to allay the anxiety of parents with the mention of the word asthma.

You can send me the results when over.
These problems subside with change of weather,change of place,
Growth of the child ,etc.
You did not mention your wife's side ! Are they also free of asthma?

The general precautions like clean house,AC etc I already mentioned.
Reg food you have to look by trial and error.
Allergen test also can indicate! But not always!

Maa salama
Dr Uma