5 years old having clear liquid leaking from anus. What could it be?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 5 year old son has recently had a clear liquid leaking from his anus? This has never happened before, what could it be?
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Welcome to HCM

Does your son have constipation?
This discharge of mucus from anus happens sometimes in constipated kids due to overflow.

If he has pain along with this it may be a local problem like fissure.

Show him to a pediatric surgeon to do examination and assess him.

Good luck
Dr Uma
Follow-up: 5 years old having clear liquid leaking from anus. What could it be? 46 hours later
Actually, my son's bowel movements are fine and he is definitely not constipated. No pain, no fever, he is eating well and sleeping well. Everything looks normal. This has happened to us twice in the last 2 weeks. I only noticed it on his underwear, a small amount, definitely in the back and definitely as clear liquid. If it had dried I would never had noticed it. If it happens again I will take him to our doctor. I was hoping you could tell me it was something that happens and is normal. No such luck I guess?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Glad that this happens occasionally only and not related to constipation.

Just see whether it is related to eating some unusually fatty food because fat mal absorption can present like this.

I am sorry I could not say it is normal! To make you happy!
However it is not a major problem hopefully!

Good luck
God bless