5 year old with molluscum contagiosum. Bumps spreading on the body, has pain. On antibiotics. Right diagnosis?

Feb 2013

HI..My 5 year old daughter has had small bumps all over the back of her legs for going on 2 years now. They were finally diagnosed as Molluscum contagiosum. They have now spread and gotten much bigger. Last week the one on her bottom got huge and infected. She was put on an antibiotic CEFADROXIL. We are on day 5 and its getting worse and now every single other one have red rings around them. She is crying and in pain.What do I do? Im not sure if the diagnosis is correct
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 44 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the clinical photographs of your daughter and they are looking like the lesions of Molluscum Contagiosum only.

Usually they spread from contact from one place to the other place and by scratching.

Scratching the lesions will lead to secondary bacterial infection.

The red rings around the other lesion may be due to inflammation caused by the secondary infection.

You continue the antibiotic -Cefadroxil as advised.

Topical antibacterial ointments like mupirocin application will help to clear the local infection in addition to the oral antibiotic.

Restrain the child from scratching.

Clean and trim her nails so that the injury due to scratching will be minimal.

If there is itching you can give oral antihistamine like cetirizine or hydroxyzine in prescribed dose orally.

The diagnosis is correct as they are typical lesions of Molluscum Contagiosum.

In immunocompetent children the lesions will heal spontaneously and they reappear also.

But in immunocompromised patients they are more vigorous and they appear in crops.

And consult your Pediatrician if the symptoms are not controlled inspite of the complete antibiotic course.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.