5 year old with frequent cold and fever, dry skin. Causes and remedies?

1. Causes and remedies for fever and running nose in kids less than 5 yrs old.
Every two months once my kid is getting running nose and fever. Positive result for blood and Xray tests.

2. Remedy for Dry skin

Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 9 hours later

Frequent occurrence of common cold and fever in pre-school and montessori age children is an expected event. It occurs because children are less immune to infectious agents like viruses and bacteria, which cause these problems. Add to this, the fact that children often put things in their mouth, forget to wash their hands very frequently, and come very close to other kids of their age when they are in play school or montessori, and you will begin to understand why infants and small children fall as ill as they do.

Now factor in one more thing: unnecessary use of antibiotics for viral infections. This is a common practice among family doctors and even pediatricians. Everyone wants to not take any chances, and therefore they use antibiotics even when they know these type of medicines will have ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON VIRUSES.

Most of the times, keeping a blocked nose open with saline nose drops and using cold medicines like cetirizine that you are using, or combination syrups like "Maxtra", "Recofast", "Corico" etc. are adequate treatment for cold. Using paracetamol is also perfect for fever, and you should reserve Meftal for only high fever or when the fever does not respond well to Crocin. Ascoril is used for wet cough, and it is not recommended for a child with a simple cold. Azithromycin is an antibiotic and to be used only for sore throat or tonsillitis, which are bacterial infections, and not for a cold.

To improve immunity, you may give the child freshly made curds every day, dry fruit, fresh fruit and fresh, raw vegetables (salads) to the child.

For dry skin, a glycerine based soap is the correct prescription. You may try Cetaphil soap, or Oilatum soap for the bath. Cetaphil moisturising solution is better than others in the market. Do try it.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Dr. Taher Kagalwala