5 year old have bed wetting habit. Developed rash on back and thighs. What is the problem?

my 5 year old son has been wetting his bed lately. he is a heavy sleeper so he often wakes up long after he has wet himself. he has developed a rash along his back waist band area that is now spreading to his thighs. it is clearing up along his waist and butt with aloe but his legs look like it may be spreading. could it be something more than a rash from being wet at night?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query and uploading the photograph.

The rash does not appear to be a fungal infection. If it is improving with aloe that you are applying then observe for a few more days. If there is no improvement then it shall be better to take a dermatological opinion.

You must be taking steps to control his bed wetting. A few steps that I can suggest are:
1. Avoid giving him any fluids/liquids after 6 PM.
2. Ensure that he passes urine before retiring to bed.
3. After an hour of his going to bed do wake him up to go to the toilet to relieve himself. This step shall be difficult but is necessary so that he does not wet later.
4. Reward him for his dry nights. Ask him to put stars on a calendar for dry nights.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications that you may require.

Wishing your son all the best...