5 year old had ear tube surgery. Given oxocodone liquid. Rashes on back. Could this be an allergic reaction?

Nephrologist
Question
my 5 yr old had ear tube surgery 1 wk ago. he was given oxocodone liquid. 4-5 days ago he broke out with a rash on his trunk only and 1 spot on his back. this morning i noticed his upper lip is swollen. could this be an allergic reaction? his is allergic to cyprodex and neomyicin
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 31 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Your child is definitely allergic to one of the two drugs he is taking. Most likely to the neomycin as this is known to cause allergic reactions. Please stop the antibiotic and approach your doctor immediately for an alternative.
Watch out for breathlessness as there are times where laryngeal edema can cause respiratory compromise.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish him a speedy recovery

Follow-up: 5 year old had ear tube surgery. Given oxocodone liquid. Rashes on back. Could this be an allergic reaction? 9 minutes later
thanks for your quick response. my son was not given drops after this surgery but i was told an antibiotic ointment was put in his ears during surgery. also the oxocodine is the only medicine he's taken in this past week that he hasn't taken before. i did stop it. would either ointment or oxocodine make his lip swell and why a rash on his trunk area only?

thanks in advance

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for clarifying things for me

Since the lip swelling and rashes have developed a little later I don't suspect the antibiotic ointment to be responsible for it because allergy to antibiotics develop almost immediately. Oxycodine usually does not cause allergic reactions but it has been reported in some. You have done the right thing by stopping the medication. He needs to be on anti allergics like chlorphenaramine maleate syrups to tackle it. Please see a pediatrician for a quick examination and prescription

Please do watch out for breathlessness and fever