5 year old child, neck pain just below skull, tender, no swelling in area, diarrhea, vomiting. Causes for symptoms?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 5 year old is complaining of pain at the top of his neck just below his skull. When I press gently on the area....directly in the middle...he is swelling. I am concerned as he vomiited and had diarrhea fever or flu symptoms....Should we be concerned?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello .
Pain and tenderness in cervical spine with vomiting could present in conditions like viral infections, or any infective meningitis or migraine or electrolyte imbalance.
If your child had diarrhoea that points to an infective pathology and so it is a matter of concern even though there is no fever or swelling.
It warrants a thorough examination and investigation by the pediatrician to rule out meningitis or meningism .
He may order few baseline investigations like complete blood counts, blood sugar, electrolytes and if required cerebrospinal fluid examination etc to confirm the diagnosis.
I would advise you to take an appointment with your childs pediatrician as per feasibility and till then,
1.Keep your child well hydrated by giving sips of oral rehydration solution or home available fluids like juices, soups, water and prevent dehydration.
2. Make him take bed rest and avoid exhaustion
3 If he is accepting food avoid large meals and oily foods.
4 If he develops any new symptoms like dizziness, blurred vision, decreased urination or rash then seek prompt consultation.
Please do not worry as the condition is treatable and should resolve once appropriate treatment
is started.
Hope I have answered your query.