5 year child having sharp pain under rib cage and stomach ache. Hurts while moving around. What's wrong?

hi, my 5 year old son is having pain under his upper right rib cage when you press on it. He says it is a sharp pain. He also says it hurts when he moves around. He has been complaining for a week of stomach pains. Most of the time it is before a meal not after one. Sometimes it feels like someone is kicking him and not painful enough that he can not sleep. It seems random for the most part. He has no fever, not throwing up just the pain when you press in the spot. What might this be?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 25 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Based on th information provided by you i think the rib pain might be due to muscle spasm, most of the children they can come across some minor injury that they will not remember.
I advice you to advice him for less strenuous activity (Playing) for two to three days. Application of hot can be helpful. You can use over the counter analgesic cream or spray for local application.
The stomach pain might be due to acidity, i advice you not to give him spicy food for few days. Over the counter antacid medication will be helpful.
I advice you to see the child specialist if the symptom persists or the severity increases.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.