5 year child having fever, on and off headache. What could this be? Should I be concerned?

My almost 5 year old daughter woke up today with a 100.7 fever. It went down with Motrin. She is eating ok & drinking. It just came back...and is 103. She was complaining on & off of a temple headache, kind of above her ears...What could this be? I hear a little congestion in her head/nose also.
Should I be really scared/concerned with the headache (being its near temple area)???
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Fever associated with headache is normally seen in viral illness. If there is no associated sore throat or cold or signs of infection anywhere in the body then taking tylenol and giving her a good supportive treatment will help in controlling the viral infection in 3-5 days.
Having a headache near the temple region is not worrisome.
Follow the supportive measures mentioned below to see beneficial response.
1. Cold sponges might be helpful to reduce the body temperature.
2. Give cold fluids orally in unlimited amounts (reason: good hydration replaces sweat and improves heat loss via skin).
3. Dress in 1 layer of light weight clothing and sleep with 1 light blanket (avoid bundling). (Caution: overheated kids can't undress themselves.)
4. Drink boiled and properly filtered water.
5. Increase fluid intake – glucose water, soups, fresh juices, coconut water.
6. Diet must be planned judiciously to provide good dose of vitamins especially vitamin A and vitamin C as these are essential for the regenerative purpose.
7. High fluid and soft diet in small frequency is recommended.
8. Food must be appetizing and made after considering the likes and dislikes of the patient.
9. Fatty, highly fibrous and very spicy foods should be avoided as they are hard to digest.
You can give her a steam inhalation to relieve the congestion.
You might consult a doctor who can examine her and prescribe the proper antibiotics and supportive medications.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: 5 year child having fever, on and off headache. What could this be? Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
Thank you so much.
I get nervous with brain tumors and cancers in little kids. It seems like that is all I have been hearing about lately...sad.
As long as the headaches/temple area headache is ok. She only complains once in awhile... a few times a day today...then I am ok with her fever and stuff.
She was around a sick aunt who said it was "just allergies" but didn't have a fever.
What can you tell me about the MMR shot? She needs her 2nd dose asap...I will wait unti she is 100% but what about the reactions? 7 days after her 1st dose 2-3 years ago she had a high fever for 5 days...was about 103-105. Dr tested her for flu and although it was negative, she said thats what it was. I am scared it was from MMR...and I have to admit, I do have a fever phobia.... so this MMR scared me. HELP!! Is teh MMR that bad???
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The first dose of MMR might be associated with fever due to antibody production in our body. The second dose is safer and has lesser chances of causing a fever. You need to wait till her headache and fever settles completely and then go for the second vaccination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: 5 year child having fever, on and off headache. What could this be? Should I be concerned? 2 days later
Hi again,
I took my daughter to the Dr yesterday as she still has a fever. It fluctuates between 99 & she was cool all night & woke up with 103.5.
Dr did strep test, as she is complaining her throat came back negative. They did a finger prick and said that this is "Very Viral"... continue tylenol & motrin & make sure she stays hydrated.
I called them today to say this is day 4 with a fever. Dr said because its Viral Fever can be up & down for 7 days.
What do you think??
Growing up I always thought if you have a fever, your body is fighting an infection...
Also; Could this be symptoms of Lymes Disease? She did get bit 2 months ago, but no bullseye. Also, there is a Listeria outbreak from Apples from McDonalds... she ate 2 bags within the last week or 2...
(I also asked Dr about this & she said no to both....)
I get nervous with fevers...and especially b/c she is 4.
I think my son is also getting sick. I guess Virus' and "Very Viral" means its also contagious...huh? :/
Thank you for your time... any info/advice would be great!!!!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Viral fevers can sometimes persist for even a week. These are contagious and are often associated with nasal and throat congestion. In such cases, doing steam inhalation often provides relief.
The viral fevers are also indicative of an infection- but caused by viruses and not bacteria. So, antibiotic treatment is not helpful in these cases.
Lyme's disease is not likely in this case. Please do not worry. You can follow your doctor's advise and continue tylenol.