5 weeks pregnant. Experiencing periodic pain and constipation. What are the risks?

I am 5 weeks pregnant - three weeks ago I experienced severe period pain like symptoms, but once I had opened my bowels or passed wind the pain would go. I have been very constipated. This week, the pain is almost non existent and I am no where near as constipated as I was. Although yesterday I started spotting - a very dark red/browny colour, very minimal amount after I had urinated. The blood looks to me like a very small clot, but it is dried out. This has happened 4 times since yesterday with the blood getting browner and less like a 'dried out clot' today.
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The least likely possibility based on what you are describing is a miscarriage because of the absence of significant cramping. The other possibilities include:

1. Implantation bleeding related to a normal pregnancy
2. An Ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy in a tube)

This is important to sort out. While it is too early to see a heart beat on ultrasound, you CAN see a sac in the uterus or not. Call your doctor and get into clinic as soon as possible to sort this out! In all likelihood this is normal, but it should not wait beyond tomorrow!

I hope this helps and good luck!!